*Note: This 3d printed kit fit nicely on 1:24 scale R/C model especially on 1:24 scale SUBOTECH CoCo 4WD chassis with slight modification to electronics placement and shock mount, but if you need to fit into other 1:24 scale R/C model chassis or nearest size you will need to manually re-scale/resize the *.STL parts before printing and also the decals that comes with the package.
*Credits: The TAMIYA branding and all the replica TAMIYA Plastic models shown here are copyright of TAMIYA CORPORATION, you may download and use it freely for your own recreational use and for non-profit/non-commercial use. Re-selling/sale/commercial distribution on this "3d printed parts and *.STL" are prohibited.
About: The BOOMERANG
My second love with TAMIYA R/C models was the BOOMERANG buggy when i first saw one in a 1987 primarily because it looks like a twin brother to HOTSHOT buggy and indeed it was since it share the same chassis type and wheels. Traditional dune buggy looks, very wedgy body design and almost like it does exist as a real thing, very scale! As a kid i always pondering about dreaming having a BOOMERANG along side its sidekick the SUPER SABRE. 30 years later here i am re-modelling replica version of the classic childhood dream in my R/C hangar materialized it via 3d printing technology. Took me a month of work to create this 1:24 scale version of the exact BOOMERANG and the final production was stunning, pretty much look alike the original BOOMERANG especially when using 1:24 scale SUBOTECH CoCo 4WD as base chassis which matched overall outlook of classic TAMIYA 4WD buggy appearance minus the "monoshock" feature. The 3D reproduction kit of BOOMERANG bring back the smile in me as i could peek back far into my childhood days by looking at this model. I manage to ran the mini R/C BOOMERANG few laps indoor and outdoor for some quick nostalgic bashing around the track and then put back on the shelf because it looks good as a shelf queen, a reminder of my childhood days. Life is good.
Specification & requirements:
You will need to have a 1:24 scale SUBOTECH CoCO 4WD chassis/RTR (Ready To Run) package.
- You will need Inkjet color printed to print the decals on A4 size paper without need to re-scale/resize.
- High resolution printing with 0.2 or less nozzle and full inner filling desity or max layer required to print the parts. Parts that i printed is on ABS material.
- You will need to prepare various grid of sanding paper to smoothen the surface of 3D printed parts.
- For painting you will need to have TAMIYA acrylic/spray to paint the models to actual replica.
Complete assembly parts:
Fitting the electronics into the frame will need a lot of work and bunch of fine soldering skills especially for power wiring connected to ESC and brushless motor. Because its so compact you will need to remove any plugs, surplus wirings and etc if necessary to get it fit perfectly
- SUBOTECH Onboard integrated electronics bulk plastic case box need to be remove to expose bare electronics PCB board to allow more compact fitting under the 3D printed body.
- Front suspension shock mount/tower mount need to be remove and the top shocks eyelet shifted to lower position and screw in place where the shock mount lower based was screwed in.
- SUBOTECH stock rubber tyres need to be carefully peel off from its wheels, the tyres will be mounted on newly 3d printed wheels.
- The downloaded package already included re-size decals for A4 size colored printing, you can print directly without needed to re-scale during printing.
- Some parts assembly need to be snap-in and glued together.
- To attached the completed 3d printed body/parts onto the R/C models chassis you may need to DIY or improvise self create solution to do it. You can either fit it together using sticky 3M double sided tape under the body, fabric Velcro, using magnet post mount or using back traditional snap pin to the body post mount which required to drill a hole on the 3d printed body..its all up to you to think about how to mount it especially when mounting on other type of chassis other than on SUBOTECH CoCo model.
Your shopping list to buy parts to build the above model:
* You can also use other type of 1:24 scale R/C chassis as long you can manual scale or resize the parts accordingly.
- Seller Banggood.com: SUBOTECH NO.BG1510C 1/24 2.4GHz High Speed 4WD Off Road Racer
- Seller Banggood.com: SUBOTECH NO.BG1510D 1/24 2.4GHz High Speed 4WD Off Road Racer
- Seller Banggood.com: SUBOTECH BG1510B 1/24 2.4GHz Full Scale High Speed 4WD Off Road Racer
- Seller Banggood.com: SUBOTECH BG1510A 1:24 2.4GHz Full Scale High Speed 4WD Off Road Racer
Support and references:
Community support/Review article about 1:24 scale SUBOTECH CoCo and also other references.
- Topic: SUBOTECH CoCo 1/24 and scale kit modifications
- Review article: SUBOTECH CoCo 4WD 1:24 scale truck
- TAMIYA model data: TAMIYA BOOMERANG (1986)